top of page
  • Dale Allen

COSHH Training vs NEBOSH General Certificate

Updated: May 4, 2020

Hey, it's Dale here again.

Today I want to clear up the confusion pertaining to which training is needed to safely handle, use and store hazardous substances in the workplace.

It is a question that often comes up when business owners need to send their employees for training in health and safety.

Especially when it's chemical safety.

I have heard it being said that COSHH training is only required for employees of large businesses in the industrial sector who use large quantities of very dangerous substances.

This is shocking!

Of course, COSHH training is definitely required for those employees.

But the same training should be given to anyone who could potentially come into contact with chemicals.

And when you really think about it, every single one of us could benefit from some form of chemical safety training.

Because each of us could potentially come into contact with hazardous substances at any time and in literally any workplace on the planet.

And not just your workplace.

How many chemicals sit in your bathroom and kitchen cupboards right now?

So, do you need full COSHH training?

If you are likely to encounter and have the potential to come into contact with a hazardous substance at work then you should be given proper COSHH training.

If you are not given proper training you run the risk of illness or injury.

I would like to point out here that many of the chemicals on the list of COSHH regulated substances would surprise you.

It includes chemicals like the bleaches and other cleaning chemicals you will find in every office and home.

The ink in the cartridges you use in your printer are also COSHH regulated.

Even the dust in an unused room, once disturbed and breathed in can cause serious health problems.

See what I mean when I say that virtually anyone could benefit from training in chemical safety?

Or is NEBOSH enough?

The NEBOSH General Certificate is just that. General.

While many different risks and hazards are covered in NEBOSH it will only provide a general overview of the issues that could potentially arise when handling hazardous substances and the control types needed.

If you're going to be working with chemicals then I would highly recommend undertaking proper COSHH training.

This will enable you to deal with the dangers of using the substance, affect the correct control measures to reduce exposure and deal with the situation should an accident occur.

If you're worried that you or your employees are not sufficiently trained to deal with the risks inherent in handling dangerous chemicals you can take the new COSHH Risk Assessor Certification™.

The International Association for Chemical Safety Free Accreditation Course

445 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page